The good. A fantastic and welcome return of the show, for what I believe it's its final season. We get "introduced" to the whole universe of Metropolis characters, hero and villains in classic fights that were very enjoyable to watch with the likes of Metallo, Mister Mxyzptlk, Toyman and Braniac (not sure about the who the guy with the ray gun inside Kandor is). In terms of writing and directing, this is the most efficient episode Jones and Melching have put out together as a team (excellent comedic and action timing, great lines, real sense of danger - heck, even Pharaoh in the intro seems menacing).
The bad. As much as I loved finally getting to see Supes animated in this particular show, the voice casting (usually spot-on in this show) was just weird for both Supes and Lex. Other than that, not much to complain here, since this sets up a nice beginning for this coming season.
- “Superman has turned into a real d…”
- “Earthquake!” followed by little crowd screaming, explosion and smoke fills up Kandor's bottle.
- “... and I thought Batmite was a weird one”
- The choice of armor worn by Batman was clearly no accident, and it really made me want a "Dark Knight Returns" animated feature, since it will be years before Zack Snyder gets hired to bring it to the big screen.
- Was that earthquake joke on Kandor a little bit too soon? Only time will tell.
Final grade: A-